Sheep & Dog Embroidery Kit
This kit contains the materials you need to make the embroidery picture of ‘Sheep & Dog’, with easy to follow guidelines, thread colour guide, photographs and ‘top tips’ from Bridget, the designer. You will also need to purchase the Quaker Tapestry Stitch Guide Book (£5) which will explain the process of pattern transfer and give you step-by-step instructions of each stitch.
Fabric size 330mm x 330mm, embroidered image size H116mm x W152mm
- 2 x ‘crewel’ needles.
- 11 coloured skeins British made Appleton’s crewel embroidery wool thread.
- Quaker Tapestry woollen cloth Britain made.
- Calico backing cloth.
- The ‘cartoon’ or outline design.
- Greaseproof paper.
- Hot Iron Transfer Pencil.
Other items needed to complete the kit
- Quaker Tapestry Stitch Guide book with step-by-step instructions for the stitches and techniques.
- A seat frame with a 250mm (10inch) hoop or similar frame to hold the work in progress.
- Pair of scissors, a good light and some relaxation time.
A note from Bridget, the designer:
This design was inspired by the sheep that appear on several of the Quaker Tapestry panels, I especially like the sheep on the first panel A1, George Fox’s Convincement. I found the dog in one of my grandson’s story books which reminds me of our family dog, ‘Lady’ when I was a child. Anne Wynn Wilson (founder of the Quaker Tapestry) once said to me that embroidering animals was quite simple, especially when they have hair. You just imagine yourself stroking the animal and that will tell you which way their hair grows and that’s what you embroider.
Since the kit was completed I have added some of the Lake District fells and mountains to the picture. You can add whatever background you like; a cottage, more sheep, the farmer…
This can be a beginner’s kit but it is not one of the more straightforward embroidery kits in the range to complete.