Gardener Embroidery Kit
This kit contains the materials you need to make the embroidered picture of the ‘Gardener’, with easy to follow guidelines, thread colour guide, photographs and ‘top tips’ from Bridget, the designer.
You will also need to purchase the Quaker Tapestry Stitch Guide Book which will explain the process of pattern transfer and give you step-by-step instructions of each stitch.
A note from Bridget, the designer:
“This design was inspired by the gardener that appears on the Quaker Tapestry embroidery ‘Industrial Welfare’, which shows a typical Cadbury garden village house in Bournville. The original garden on the panel shows a fruit tree in early spring but in my garden I have a summer scene. I have chosen to embroider a Rowan tree because they grow wild in Cumbria where the Quaker Tapestry now lives. You can use your own imagination and create your own garden with your favourite vegetables or flowers.”
Fabric size 330mm x 330mm, embroidered image size H170mm x W190mm
- 2 x ‘crewel’ needles.
- 12 coloured skeins of Appleton’s crewel embroidery wool thread.
- Quaker Tapestry woollen cloth Britain made.
- Calico backing cloth.
- The pattern or outline design.
- Greaseproof paper.
Other items needed to complete the kit
- Quaker Tapestry Stitch Guide book with step-by-step instructions for the stitches and techniques.
- Hot Iron Transfer Pencil.
- A seat frame with a 250mm (10inch) hoop or similar frame to hold the work in progress.
- Pair of scissors, a good light and some relaxation time.
This is a beginner’s embroidery kit.
Did you know – our embroidery workshops make ideal gifts for budding stitchers or absolute beginners.
Buying lovely things from us directly supports our charitable work, thank you
Your purchase helps us to preserve and exhibit one of the world’s largest community embroideries and in sharing its stories, history and stitches for all to enjoy.