Donkeys Embroidery Kit
This Donkeys embroidery kit contains the materials you need to make the embroidery picture of the ‘Donkeys’, with easy to follow guidelines, thread colour guide, photographs and ‘top tips’ from Bridget, the designer. You will also need to purchase the Quaker Tapestry Stitch Guide Book which will explain the process of pattern transfer and give you step-by-step instructions of each stitch.
Fabric size 330mm x 330mm, embroidered image size H200mm x W250mm
- 2 x ‘crewel’ needles.
- 13 coloured skeins British made Appleton’s crewel embroidery wool thread.
- Quaker Tapestry woollen cloth Britain made.
- Calico backing cloth.
- The ‘cartoon’ or outline design.
- Greaseproof paper.
- Hot Iron Transfer Pencil.
- Water erasable Aqua Pen.
Other items needed to complete the kit
- Quaker Tapestry Stitch Guide book with step-by-step instructions for the stitches and techniques.
- A seat frame with a 250mm (10inch) hoop or similar frame to hold the work in progress.
- Pair of scissors, a good light and some relaxation time.
A note from Bridget, the designer:
This design was adapted from the Quaker Tapestry panel F16 Peace Embassies. Anne Wynn Wilson (founder of the Quaker Tapestry) once said to me that embroidering animals was quite simple, especially when they have hair. You just imagine yourself stroking the animal and that will tell you which way their hair grows and that is what you embroider. When I embroidered these Donkeys I imagined that their hair was coarse and strong so in my imagination I used a horse brush to stroke mine! I thought that the hair around the face and tail would be softer so I have created a fluffier texture here. You just need to get into the right frame of mind and your embroidery will follow.
This is a beginner’s embroidery kit but the lettering can be tricky to master – you will need the Quaker Tapestry Stitch Guide Book for more instructions with the lettering.